Do Safe2Heal in 6 Weeks
The core practice is meditating for 10 minutes every day. Meditation is simply sitting comfortably in a quiet place free from distraction. Watching yourself breath and letting the constant stream of thoughts and emotions come and go. Like the sky watching the weather. Still with no judgment as the action passes by inside and outside of you. It can be surprisingly hard to do but the benefits are outstanding!
In 10 minutes a day over six weeks you can:
- Activate the parasympathetic part of your nervous system that nurtures and balances your well-being
- Decrease the amount of stress related cortisol produced
- Reduce your respiration and heart rate
- Reduce your metabolic rate of expending energy
- Increase blood flow in your brain
- Increase activity in the left pre-frontal cortex of your brain (observed in happier people)
- Strengthen your immune system
All of which promotes healing.
When you join Safe2Heal you commit to complete at least one DoSafe2Healin6.
- Start on any Sunday and end six Saturdays after
- Complete a 5 question survey at the start and at the end of the six weeks
- Practice 10 minutes a day and complete a daily report that takes less than a minute
- Report progress metrics once a week
Includes the DoSafe2Healin6 Handbook, sharing sessions where Members discuss their experience, a Member forum discussing relevant topics and common Q & A.
Safe2Heal’s funding comes directly from Member subscriptions and purchases of Safe2Heal content. There is no advertising. Safe2Heal does not share any personal information. Safe2Heal uses PayPal exclusively so Safe2Heal never has direct access to member’s financial information.
Safe2Heal Membership is $1 per week with a minimum 13 week subscription.
“Do Safe2Heal in 6 weeks” also known as DoSafe2Healin6 is a commitment you make to yourself. Your goal is to move from where you are today towards wholeness and improved health and well-being. The process of healing and growth is a journey. Safe2Heal is here to help.
This Guide provides all the basic information you need to complete your six week commitment. It usually takes about 30 minutes to read through this guide in one sitting.
The first two chapters, Every Thing Changes Constantly and You Are More Than You Think, create a simple foundation for your practice by explaining two concepts that impact every one of us every single day of our lives. These ideas are at the center of positive transformation. Of course, as with everything, please validate for yourself that these things resonate or are true – or may be true and are worth exploring further.
The next chapter, How Healing and Growth Happens, describes the process when people faced painful and life threatening situations – and their conditions became pain free. These are very complicated topics that human beings have been exploring for ten thousand years. The collective human experience on this planet has produced many patterns proven to work that we draw from and reference – “big ideas and bright lights”. We want to add your account of your own experience to that base of knowledge.
How to DoSafe2Healin6 provides an overview of what you need to know and do – before, during and after – your six week adventure.
Please refer to Frequently Asked Questions in this document for additional background. There’s more information on the website and inside the Safe2Heal community.
Like everything else this is a work in process so please do share all your questions, feedback and ideas.
Thanks for joining us on this healing and growth adventure!
There is a lot of great content about the nature of change, who we really are and how we heal and grow. Please refer to safe2heal.com for more information and an extensive set of links.
Our focus here is on the process, practices that work, and the support necessary so that you can make the changes you want to see in your everyday life. We put this into the context of a six week program because it takes time for changes to take effect. We need to learn how to plant new seeds and nurture the conditions that foster healing and growth.
The commitment is fundamentally to yourself. Safe2Heal is a proxy of sorts providing the information, structure, guidance and support for you to develop a regular practice inside the life you lead today.
1) Learn about Safe2Heal and DoSafe2Healin6 by visiting the website www.safe2heal.com and reading this document. The minimum commitment is 6 weeks / 42 days in a row with 15 minutes of meditation each day and 5 minutes to record your progress. That’s 1.4% of that total time in your life to build some mindfulness muscle that will serve you well (840 minutes to practice from the 60,480 minutes available over 6 weeks).
Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also set up time to discuss.
2) Complete a registration application.
3) Complete a survey.
4) Consider asking a Buddy if they would like to do this with you? Relationships are keys to success. The most important one is the relationship you have with yourself. When you make a commitment to DoSafe2Healin6 as a Member that creates a relationship with a Guide and other Safe2Heal Members who are also doing DoSafe2Healin6. If it makes sense for you (and your Buddy!) please consider asking someone else if they would like to DoSafe2Healin6 with you at the same time.
5) Confirm your practice plan and weekly time commitment. What’s your intent? Please read the next section that outlines the basics of the program. It’s plenty to agree to the most basic practice and reporting sequence. You may want to add practices or perhaps incorporate your current practices into a single plan.
6) Sign your commitment letter.
Simple meditation is the heart of the daily practice. Just sitting quietly, watching your breath and letting your mind quiet down as you learn to truly rest in the expanding space between thoughts.
There are many Bright Lights who explain and teach meditation. If you want please find one who resonates with you. Jon Kabat Zinn is one of my favorites.
Please try to meditate in the morning and at the same time of day each day if possible.
It’s best to sit in a space where you feel safe and will not be interrupted. Please consider what is already in the space and what if anything to add. Fresh flowers strongly recommended!
Meditation can be silent or guided. The website has links to what we think are high quality online guided meditations.
1) 15 minutes is the minimum time to sit each day. That may seem like forever! The commitment is to sit and meditate for 15 minutes Every Day. Each time you get distracted you just come back to your breath. Please extend the sessions if that makes sense.
2) Please always remember Forgiveness is a big part of this experience. Please forgive yourself early and often! (Please save some forgiveness for anyone in your household who’s not sure why you’re doing this!)
3) Drink at least 68 ounces of water every day. That’s about 4 standard size bottles or 2000 milliliters. Andrew Weil and Deepak Chopra have great books that outline approaches and diets that align with this DoSafe2Healin6 commitment.
4) Breathe fresh air. At least once each day find some fresh air and take 3 deep slow breaths. Some type of daily exercise – even something simple like walking slowly outside – is highly recommended.
5-6) One Thing to Avoid & One Thing to Approach each day. This can be done right after you sit but like all these practices any time works. As you look out into your day consider one thing you’ll look to avoid during the day and one thing you’d like to approach during the day. This practice comes from Bright Light Rick Hansen. Things are pieces of life stuff like attitudes, thoughts, emotions, relationships, places, practices – you name it – so much to choose from! Things to avoid lead to more suffering, more grasping and more hindrances. Things to approach lead to more love, compassion, insight and awareness.
This also dovetails with the seeding, gardening and programming metaphor. Approach, seed and water things that lead to flowering and pleasant experience. Avoid, weed and lessen the hold of things that lead to more suffering and obstacles.
Try to identify one thing to Avoid and one thing to Approach each day.
7) Get enough sleep.
8) Try keeping a journal if that calls to you.
9) Record your progress. Witnessing what you do is an important part of the commitment you make to yourself. The information about everyone’s experience is used to improve the program. It takes approximately 2 minutes each day to complete the form that records your daily DoSafe2Healin6 activity. There are regular email notifications with links for daily and weekly reporting to help us make sure these little commitments are completed.
10) Weekly update. Please take time on Saturdays to review the week ending and look forward to the week to come. The weekly update is a quick read on the difficulty and benefits of practicing. Please call out any obstacles that appeared or challenges you found with DoSafe2Healin6 during the week. Please identify any opportunities or changes you want to make in the plan for next week.